Thursday, February 19, 2015



Image result for a child called it I read A Child Called “It” by Dave Pelzer. I chose this book because the story seemed very inspirational and also seemed very good. As most of us do, I read the back cover of my memoir and was instantly intrigued. The lead of the book hooked me and I wanted to read more right away. This story was sad and very gross but that only made the story better. A Child Called “It” follows the story of a young boy in elementary school. His name is Dave, and is part of one of the worst abuse cases in California history. Dave takes the reader in depth about some of the awful experiences he must go through. His mom does not allow him to eat much at all, and he must overcome the fact that the rest of his family simply doesn't care for him anymore. He gets one set of clothes each year, so he has a terrible stench that follows him as well. At school, he is made fun of for stealing and looking bad, and his mom comes up with ridiculous stories about how he has hurt himself. He steals lunches at school and shoplifts grocery stores, only to come home and have to throw it all up with the force of his mom. Both his parents drink, and he is not sure whether he hates his mom more for abusing him, or his dad for doing nothing about it. One of the more gruesome events in the story is when Dave’s mom makes him eat a used diaper that was once his baby brother’s. Dave isn't allowed to even sit with the family, and must sleep on a cold, hard cot in the garage. Every time he manages to find food, whether it comes from the garbage can or leftovers on a plate, his mom soon finds out and punishes him. Dave uses a slow pace when telling the story, and gives the reader a lot of description. By the end of the book, you think you were in his shoes. The plot seems absolutely devastating, but I did learn a few things from A Child Called “It”.


A Child Called “It” provided a lot of good messages throughout the book. The most interesting was that no matter how hard life hits you, you just have to keep fighting and eventually the results will take care of themselves. Dave shows an incredible amount of fight throughout the whole story, and when he finally is ready to give up, he keeps going and never gives in. A Child Called “It” relates to the “why am I the way I am?” idea because this moment in Dave’s life shows how much he fights to get what he deserves. His experience he wrote about changes everything in his life. Dave will never be the same after this child abuse case and his traits have probably changed too. The author is now able to be proud of getting out of the hole he was in, even though it was an awful experience. This is the one event that changed everything for Dave, and that is why it is most important to him. This moment in his life will haunt him forever, and that is why the reading wasn't always easy.


The reading difficulty was rather easy in A Child Called “It”. I would say the level would be a one or two out of five because the book was less than 200 pages long and there was no extremely difficult vocabulary in Dave’s memoir. Although the actual reading was quite easy, the subject matter difficulty was much harder. A four or even five out of five would explain this book well. The idea of this book is very sad, disgusting, and terrible in many different ways. At times, Dave’s story was hard to read because of how extreme the book was. I did not cry at all during this book, but if you decide to read, tears might be streaming from your eyes. If crying doesn’t suit you, you will still definitely be sickened by the gruesome events that happen. Although the subject difficulty was on the harder side, Dave's message in the book was a lot more important.


In A Child Called “It”, Dave’s “so what?” is that some of the biggest moments in your life don’t have to be good ones. Also, the way people act throughout an event can explain you as a person. In Dave Pelzer’s memoir, he never gives up on life throughout his abuse and keeps on fighting. As a reader, I can tell he has a lot of determination in life. Some of the elements that Dave Pelzer used was flashback and foreshadowing. Throughout the whole story, Dave refers back to the time in his life when he was abused. Also, Dave uses foreshadowing in A Child Called "It". As the reader, I could predict what awful action his mom might do next based on the content of the book. Sometimes Dave's mother would tell him to run home as fast as he can after school. Dave was always dreading the moment when he had to come home. As the reader, I can tell that Dave was most likely going to get abused as soon as he came home from school. The elements enhanced the story very well and created a better memoir.


A Child Called “It” was a very inspirational story that I just could not put down. Some of the elements that Dave used included flashback and foreshadowing. I could predict what was going to happen and also see an event that happened in the past. The ongoing descriptive events kept me excited for more. Although the book included some repulsive details that not only sickened you but also made you sad. The story takes you inside the abuse case and gives you an insight of how the child feels. Imagine a life without people who care for you, or people who don’t even bother to acknowledge your existence. Dave was physically and mentally struggling. No food, no friends, no family, yet he still never gave up. From being forced to lay in the bathtub naked in cold water, to eating ammonia and constantly throwing up. Dave gave the reader a chance to go in his shoes and feel the absolute pain that he had to overcome. For us, a lot of things come for granted. Simple things like food and good clothing. I couldn’t believe that a mother would do such a thing to her own child, and not care at all. Dave has taught valuable lessons to each of his readers. Never lose hope and never take anything for granted. I hope you can also read this book and see what Dave must go through.


8 comments:

  1. Wow. First of all, great job on your blog entry. You really explained and described the events of A Child Called “It”. I am very interested in reading this book because it seems like an eye opening experience. I honestly am not sure if I could read this book without getting extremely sad. I realize how fortunate I really am after reading your entry! I am wondering about what Dave does for a living now. I’m not sure if the book states this or not but I wonder if you know. I think you did a great job explaining your feelings on this topic and book as well. It was very interesting to learn about Dave’s childhood experiences and realizing that this happens more often then people realize. This is probably the most interesting and eye opening blog entry I have ever read so, fantastic job Spencer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spencer, I thought you did a great job of telling us why you choose to read this book. It does have a very intriguing title that already draws me in and makes me want to read it. I learned from your summary that this is a very sad book and that there are some very horrible people that Dave had to deal with during his childhood. It seems like you did a great job of telling me what this book is about, you also did a good job in making me interested in reading the book. Like when you talked about the plot being absolutely devastating, it drew me in and made me more interested in your blog and the book. I would like to know more about the “so what?” you do a good job telling me that one of the “so whats?” is that some of the biggest moments in your life don’t have to be good ones. But then you aren’t very clear about what situations were really big to him. I think your blog would have been even better if you had added a little more detail about what situations changed him. But overall I thought you did a great job about showing me what this book is about and made me very interested in wanting to read it. I also really liked the “so what?” that you pulled from the book. I am now thinking about reading this book in the near future because of how well you described the book and what it meant to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog entry really describes the book the best that I think you could have. I feel as if I just read a shortened version of the book but still got the whole picture of what happened during the book. I am curious at why the parents hated him so much, and abused him rather than than his other siblings, if he has siblings? Also, what did he do to try and stop the abuse? I really want to read this book because it seems like an action packed book, that really gives you a look at the other side of life that we are not used to, where kids get abused and tortured and can't do anything about it. Another question that I had, is what happened to the abusive parents? What do they do now? I know that I will have to read the book to find out, and that my questions are all probably spoilers to the book, so now I am really tempted to read it. I feel like you did an excellent job on this blog entry, and I really hope to read this book soon!

    ReplyDelete

  4. Spencer,
    You did really well on recapping your book, “A child called ‘It’”. The story seems very sad and hard to read. Thank you for not making your summary too gory because I’m not sure if I could handle that. Overall, your blog is very well constructed and your summary is perfect. I would have wanted to read it but I don’t really think I would be able to deal with the gore.You very clearly took a lot out of the book and learned a lot too. Well done spencer, you did a good job on this blog and I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seemed like a braver book choice than most by reading this book. It seems like it was very vile by the way this child was abused. I thought the title was also pretty interesting because it shows how the parent thinks that the child is completely worthless. I liked how you mentioned how intrigued you were out of simply the back cover. I think it is awesome that you said the author makes you feel in the child’s shoes. It is also a miracle he is not dead yet, still alive and sharing this traumatizing story. I also enjoyed the fact that you noticed Dave never gave in no matter how hard his parents hurt him. “He fought for what he deserves.” That is so true and represents the book perfectly in the way his parents treat him. I thought you made connections that were key to the format of your blog. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spencer,
    As I read your blog I was interested in how old Dave was as he wrote his memoir and how long the torment was that his parents put him under. You said that Dave never gave up but you didn’t mention how long he had to suffer. You also talked like Dave’s parents were alcoholics but did all of the incidents occur in a drunken rage? Or was there just some bad parenting that was to blame? I have read about how certain alcoholic and drug abusing parents will be taken away from their children because they’re unfit to take care of a child, is the law different in California? Or did Dave’s parents manage to keep his condition a secret? I have had a lot of questions but the best way to find them out is to actually read A Child Named “It”. I think that I most likely will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spencer, I’d just like to point out how well you did on this blog entry. You explained the entire plot very good. The story you chose seems like a tough pick and I'm surprised you didn’t even shed a tear throughout the book, I almost did just reading your blog entry. I was so intrigued by the entry that I’m thinking of going to check out the book. The way you explained your feelings and the so what, although it seems pretty obvious, I could think of what it was after just reading the plot of the book. You deeply shared the structure and difficulty of the book very well and I was pleased to see how it was difficult to read in ways of topic, considering the storyline. The book you picked is a difficult read to explain so I was proud to see that you were able to appropriately explain the book. This is a great entry and I’m excited to start reading, although I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spencer,

    I thought you did a great job on your memoir. I had seen this book before in the library but had never wanted to read it. I learned that you were sickened by the events that happened to Dave during his childhood and you thought they were disgusting. I liked how you included the emotions readers might be feeling when they read this book. I also liked your “so what” about how big events in your life don’t necessarily have to be good because it seemed very true. I did have some questions though. What happened to Dave after he grew up? What happened to his parents? Also, why didn’t he tell anyone about his situation? He certainly had enough evidence and someone would have believed him. I thought it was interesting how the difficulty of the book could be so easy while the subject matter was so difficult. Overall, I thought you did a great job on your memoir, and I want to read A Child Called “It” now.

    ReplyDelete