Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Important Book- The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

My most important book is The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. This book follows the story of Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon and New York resident Sally Jackson. He makes his way from a boarding school in Manhattan to a Camp Half-Blood. Camp Half-Blood is a place for the daughters and sons of Greek Gods and regular mortals. In The Lightning Thief, Zeus’s lightning bolt goes missing. The God of the skies thinks Percy has stolen the lightning bolt, but he is wrong. The actual thief is Luke Castellan, son of Hermes. After the demigods figure out about the war between the Gods, Percy Jackson and his friends Annabeth (daughter of Athena) and Grover (satyr) go on a quest to return the lightning bolt back to Zeus and The Helm of Darkness back to Hades.

This book was written in first person through the eyes of 12 year old Percy Jackson. The author probably wrote this way to show Percy’s long experience and what he must go through to complete the quest. The Lightning Thief was written in a fast-paced humorous style. Although it contains a lot of action, there is humor within what Percy says or thinks, but also what happens in the story. When I read this book, I could not stop reading it. The book is filled with suspense and questions, making you want to find out. At the end, there is a cliffhanger that leads perfectly into the sequel, The Sea Of Monsters.

This book surprised me in a plethora of ways. When I found out who stole the lightning bolt, I was shocked. Rick Riordan lead me to believe that a different character had stole it, but then the surprise hits you like a train. I loved the way the author kept me reading the book with all of the suspense. Just when one thing was solved, another problem would pop up on the quest for the demigods and the satyr. The book was fast paced, yet it went into each important event with great detail. I liked this because I could learn more about the important ideas in the book, but I could breeze by the less important happenings. The only thing I did not like about this book was that it ended.

This book got me into the Percy Jackson and The Olympians series. This book is important to me because it got me into reading about Greek, Roman and Egyptian Mythology. This book also was the first book that I have read by myself and actually loved. The theme of the book was never doubt yourself even if the odds are not in your favor. This theme sounds weird based on what happens, but it is actually true. Percy, Annabeth and Grover had to return the Helm of Darkness to Hades, return the lightning bolt to Zeus, and do that all in enough time to prevent the Gods going to war with each other. As you can probably tell already, the three heroes succeed in their quest.

To sum it up, you can tell I really like this book for its writing style and story. I would definitely read this book if you are interested, and if not, well then, your loss. This is probably my favorite book ever, yet the movie was terrible. In the movie, it skips key moments in the book, and if it did mention an important moment, then it was definitely not described. Other things in the movie were added, additions that were not made in the book.If the movie replicated the book, then it would most likely be one of my favorite movies. Unfortunately for me and other Lightning Thief lovers, the producers were unable to do so. When I read The Lightning Thief the second time, it was just as good. This book keeps me reading every time I read it, and is a satisfying experience for me. I definitely recommend this book for you to read, and I hope you get the same sensation as I did.

5 comments:

  1. I have also read the Lightning Theif, and I also thought it was a great book. I think that you did a good job describing the summary of the book, although you could have explained at the beginning on how there are the Greek gods in that book, and you might not have wanted to spoil who stole Zeus's bolt, and to have explained what a satyr is. If I had not read it before hand, I would have been wondering what they are. Also, I think you could have explained a little more about the beginning and how he got to Camp Half-Blood and how his life was before he went to Camp Half-Blood. I also wonder why they completely botched the movie, and why it didn't include most of the big parts, but unfortunately people don't know how to make movies, and I wonder if the director had even read the book. Also, why did they have to return the Helm of Darkness, and why was Zeus's lightning bolt so important to the story? But other than those suggestions, good job explaining the main plot and summarizing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also read this book and I liked it although it was definitely not my favorite book. I felt as if a lot of times when the book started to get into detail it began to become confusing and boring. The rest of the book what great though. Your description provides a good summary of the book but with a few spoilers. Also, in your description I think you should have described some of the things you were talking about a little more to give the reader a better understanding of what you were talking about, thus making them want to read the book more. Overall I thought this book was a good book and you did a good job describing it. I also agree with what you said about the movie, it was awful! Another thing I liked was your description of the cliff hanger which made me so mad because I really wanted to know what was going to happen next!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book when I was in 6th grade and your post made me think about how good this book was. Just like you, I found this book very surprising and also very intriguing. When who stole the lightning bolt was revealed, I was as surprised as you were. I totally agree with you on how the movie wasn't nearly as good as the book because it skipped key elements. Yet, I feel like the movie helped me understand this book a little bit better. Having a clear picture of what this book looks like after it comes to life, gives you a crystal clear understanding of the parts the movie did contain. Unlike you, I think that the book had a cliffhanger but it didn't quite lead into The Sea of Monsters as good as I thought it would. Overall, I think that this book was good but not great. I have an urge to read this book or watch the movie now that you reminded me about it. Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spencer,
    I thought that your description was exactly what a book of this caliber requires. One thing that I would recommend after reading this book is the spin off series Heroes of Olympus. That is, if you haven’t already found it. Another thing that I would recommend is the Kane Chronicles which is also written by Rick Riordan and includes Egyptian mythology instead of Greek. But that is also assuming you haven’t already finished it. There is one last thing that I would like to mention, if I hadn’t already read the book I would be VERY angry about the MASSIVE spoiler that you pulled during your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book long ago around 5th grade. I thought you did a very good job of explaining the book and what it is about, but I also think for anyone who hadn't read the book before there is a big spoiler. Like you I really enjoyed the book and also loved how well Rick Riordan tied the first book into the second. I completely agree with your opinion of the movie adaptation, I thought it was very disappointing and was missing many key elements. I never watched it again. Overall I really enjoyed your blog and thought it was very well done but it had one spoiler.

    ReplyDelete